An ancient star faring race that once was common in the Galaxy 1 million years ago and fought a genocidal war with the "Bugs". It is believed that the cost of that victory was was a technological fall.
We now understand that the Zak are the Tzen. There has been some evolution but the species is still recognizable.
The recent recovery of an ancient sleep tube from a Tzen/Bug battle site recovered one survivor. A tour de force of the medical art and plain dumb luck. The Zak medical team that performed the recovery said as much. She is recovering from her ordeal and teaching as much as she learns. For her sake the Zak are not so different that she is alone.
Based mainly on the reports of the survivor. Million year old computer cores are mostly crunchy.
- The Tzen were a totalitarian racial nation. The ruling body was "The Committee" until such time as the Bugs destroyed the Black Swamps, the Tzen home world. At that point they were ruled by a Junta of military commanders. She is unaware of any political movement beyond this time.
- Every aspect of life was controlled, from your role in life to reproduction. She considers this perfectly natural.
- The Tzen practiced genetic tinkering in themselves. She states that her generation was only the second that had color vision, a deliberate adaptation.
- The Bug Wars was total and genocidal war fought by all sides. Bug reasons are not known. She claims it was species survival for the Tzen.
- Tzen ships were slow warp monsters on the order of 2000 meters or more. They carried massive armies in cold sleep, she was one. They could go a dozen or more years between operations.
- She is vaguely aware that there were serpents in space. She knows of no conflict between the Tzen and the serpents.